BPI Foundation has officially reopened its “Pagpupugay” scholarship program to support the next of kin of medical front liners who contracted COVID-19 or passed away in the line of duty during the pandemic.
“The fight against COVID-19 is far from over and our medical front liners continue to be at the forefront, highly exposed to the deadly virus while taking care of our fellow Filipinos,” said BPI Foundation Executive Director Owen Cammayo.
“The Pagpupugay scholarship program is a recognition for their heroic efforts. The program aims to help create a better future for the next of kin of medical front liners who were casualties of the COVID-19 war.”
“Pagpupugay” is a five-year scholarship program with an initial P1-million fund per school year. Five (5) scholars were chosen in 2020, to be evaluated for renewal annually. For the Academic Year 2021-2022, five (5) additional scholars will be selected. Each scholar will be provided a maximum of P100,000 scholarship fund per academic year to cover tuition fees and miscellaneous expenses.
The eligible applicants are the next of kin of the following medical front liners who contracted COVID-19 or passed away in the line of duty during the pandemic:
- Medical technologists
- Community health workers
- Administrative, utility, and support services personnel in health care facilities
If the deceased is married, the priority beneficiary will be one of his or her children. If single, the beneficiary can be next of kin up to the 3rd degree of consanguinity.
To qualify, students must be enrolled or applying to any college or university nationwide. They must have and maintain a General Weighted Average (GWA) of 85% or its equivalent and/or prevailing University standards for the previous school year (for incoming 1st year) or semester (for incoming 2nd year to 5th year).
Interested students may apply directly to BPI Foundation’s partner schools below.
- Ateneo de Manila University
- Cebu Institute of Technology University
- Christ the King College – Gingoog City
- De La Salle University (Manila)
- Far Eastern University (Manila)
- Holy Angel University (Pampanga)
- Lorma Colleges (La Union)
- Mapua University (Manila and Makati)
- Malayan Colleges Laguna
- Malayan Colleges Mindanao
- Mindanao State University – Iligan Institute of Technology
- Miriam College
- National Teachers College
- Philippine Women’s University
- PHINMA Republican College
- PHINMA St. Jude College
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines
- Saint Louis University – Baguio
- Silliman University
- Southville International School and Colleges
- Mary’s College of Baliuag (Bulacan)
- Technological Institute of the Philippines
- University of Batangas
- University of Northern Philippines
- University of Nueva Caceres
- University of Santo Tomas (Manila)
- University of San Carlos
- University of the Immaculate Concepcion (Davao)
- University of the Philippines (Diliman)
- University of the Philippines (Manila)
- Xavier University – Ateneo de Cagayan
The deadline for application is on May 28, 2021, and successful applicants will be contacted in July. To know more about BPI Foundation and its programs, visit www.bpifoundation.org.